Saturday, October 25, 2008

Welcome to Evanston

We're here! It took us 2 days to move. Joel and Brian were nice enough to help us out on Thursday night, and Brian brought a strong friend. The move started at 6 p.m. and ended at 4 a.m.--All the boxes I carefully packed and labeled and sorted throughout the previous week gave way to me frantically throwing random things in trash bags because I was just too tired to think anymore! And I don't know why I thought we wouldn't need childcare on Thursday. Denise and Kim stepped in last moment.

I left the house at 1:30 a.m. with a car packed to the hilt with boxes, 2 kids, a dog, a plant and a snake. It had rained all evening, so it took us an extra long time to get to the empty apartment for our 1-night camp out (All the furniture was going to stay in the truck overnight). The boys were wound up and decided it was play time after we got here--Zen chased Zion through the long, empty hallways while Jedi sniffed around nervously. We were so exhausted by the time Sam crept in at daybreak that we could have slept all day, but we had reserved the loading dock at our building for 9:30.

It was such a welcome sight when volunteers came pouring in to help us--Uncle Joel showed up again, and a crew of folks from Sojourner. It took about one-tenth of the time to move everything upstairs than it did to move it out of our old place. Our day wasn't done--I still had to make a run to Schaumburg to clear the house of wet leaves and fridge food, as well as pots and pans (whoops--maybe I left them there subconsciously so we could eat out every day). Back in Evanston, we spent the early evening exploring the building and the neighborhood. We found our bike storage spaces and parking spots and figured out which elevator took us where. I found some good, close places to walk Jedi, and Zion decided that he really liked livng in the same building as a Barnes and Noble bookstore and right down the block from Panera.

I had to stay up late, late, late doing lesson plans and grading papers so I could teach class the next day. Sam and the boys had a very productive Saturday--by the time I came home, almost every room had been at least partially set up. Jedi and I had a glorious walk on the beach and met some nice people and friendly dogs. Jedi is still healing from an incident with a Great Dane earlier in the week. A few staples and over $200 later, she's wearing Sam's old T-shirts so she doesn't get blood on anything. Great Danes have big teeth...

Anyway, I'll download pictures when we take some. I am ecstatic that we have the computer back up and running--send us some happy emails, and we'll keep y'all posted. xoxoxox

3 comments:

Allyson said...

Congratulations Huzars! Reading your description brings back all too recent memories of my own move in August. I still have way too many boxes all around my general living space. May God bless you in your new living quarters! Allyson

Unknown said...

So this is why the mysterious phone call from you recently! Yeah!!!!!!! I'm so glad this is finally happening. Did the house sell? I don't even know that! Next weekend is homecoming; so, I'm battening down the hatches for an onslaught of people. I can get to you easier now that you're in Evanstron!!! Yeah, yeah, yeah!

Let's kibbitz about late Nov - early Jan schedules so that we can spend some much-needed time.

I miss you so much.

Mama Blogger said...

YEA!!!!!!! I'm so glad you're living so close. Let me know if you need ANYTHING because I can hop up to your place pretty quick. Enjoy your views, enjoy the beach, relax--the boxes will getr emptied eventually. Your health and rest are more important! Call me when you feel up to it.

Congratulations,
Wendy