Friday, April 30, 2010

Sheep's Head


So it's no secret that I have a higher tolerance than most for the gruesome...at least when it comes to dead things, handling poop, large insects, reptiles, etc. I have been shopping at a local "international market" lately in order to cut down on food costs. It's a decent little grocery store, good produce, and some very strange things for sale. Every time I'm in the meat section, I have to stand and stare in horrified fascination at the array of animal parts that they sell for human consumption--chicken feet, ox tails, pig snouts, etc. But this specimen is by far the most outrageous that I've come across. Why, might you ask, did I come home from the grocery store with a whole head of a sheep on a meat tray? I don't even know. Zion was at camp, so I thought I would welcome him home with a practical joke. I said that we were welcoming him home with his favorite meal--that he was going to be so excited! When I brought this thing out, the joke backfired, as he began retching and gagging, eyes watering, begging me to take it away. The head now lives in our freezer, waiting for another unsuspecting victim. Why? Why? I don't know. Probably for the same reason I stop and pick up interesting road kill. I just want to take it back to my lair and study it. People eat some really crazy shit. Can anyone tell me which culture has sheep's head on its menu????

3 comments:

Rebecca Johnson said...

Sooooo...you save money by going to the market and then buy something you won't eat or need? I challenge you to find a good recipe on the internet and serve it up as mystery meat. Hey, they don't have to know that you USED it in your meal.

Kristin said...

Rebecca, I bought it for its STUDY VALUE (and it was a value, at 3.99). BUT, if I find a good recipe....

Sophiestricata said...

Hi there!
I'm from Romania and i was skipping through the blogs until I saw this.

Well... This picture reminds me of Easter. :)) We traditionally eat lamb and it is sold almost whole. My mom uses the head to make soup (or borsch) and she eats the eyes and the brain. It's absolutely disgusting for me. But they say it's the best part. :))

Still, I don't find it uneatable, i just don't like the consistency of eyes, brain, tongue etc. But it's still meat. :-??